The Bible makes it clear that speaking in tongues brings you certain blessings that you cannot enjoy if you cannot speak in tongues. Some of them are:
1. Your prayers are a mystery to Satan, so he can’t hinder them. If you compare Daniel 10:10-13 with 1 Corinthians 14:2, you will discover that Daniel’s prayers could be hindered because he prayed in his understanding and the devil could understand him.
But according to 1 Cor 14:2, speaking in tongues is a secured channel to God alone.
2. You build up your spirit man for exploits by speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:2). Jude 20 says, “But ye beloved, building yourselves up on your most Holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost“
3. Speaking in tongues makes you able to react faster and more sensitively to the burdens and desires of God .
4. Speaking in tongues gives you spiritual refreshing and rest when you are weary. (Isaiah 28:12 & I Corinthians 14:4)
5. When you pray in tongues, your spirit prays for things you have never known with your mind. (1 Corinthians 14:2)
6. It reduces your chances of being selfish in prayer as speaking in tongues enables you to pray for many things and many people that you may not remember or think to pray for if you are praying in your understanding.
7. While praying in tongues, the Holy Ghost has more access to your Spirit and as such, He can bring directions and guidance to your mind. (1 Corinthians 14:16-17)
Take full advantage of this provision of God for you as a believer and don t short-change yourself.