The Daily Fountain Devotional of the Church Of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) 8 November 2023 – There Is Time For Everything
TOPIC: There Is Time For Everything
READ: Ecclesiastes 3:1-15 (NKJV)
- To everything [there is] a season, A time for everypurpose under heaven:
- A time to be born, And a time to die; A time to plant, And a time to pluck [what is] planted;
- A time to kill, And a time to heal; A time to break down, And a time to build up;
- A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;
- A time to cast away stones, And a time to gather stones; A time to embrace, And a time to refrain from embracing;
- A time to gain, And a time to lose; A time to keep, And a time to throw away;
- A time to tear, And a time to sew; A time to keep silent, And a time to speak;
- A time to love, And a time to hate; A time of war, And a time of peace.
- What profit has the worker from that in which he labors?
- I have seen the God-given task with which the sons of men are to be occupied.
- He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.
- I know that nothing [is] better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives,
- and also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor — it [is] the gift of God.
- I know that whatever God does, It shall be forever. Nothing can be added to it, And nothing is taken from it. God does [it,] that men should fear before Him.
- That which has already been, And what is to have already been; And God requires an account of what is past.
Today’s text speaks of the significance of time and season for every action and business under the sun. The early part of the message is impressed upon our hearts with the use of contrast or opposites (verses 2-8). The passage clearly reflects that God allocates time and season for every action. It equally reveals that time is of the essence in whatever one does. God deals with time and seasons for the accomplishment of His purposes and we must understand this in order to make the most of the times and seasons allocated to us by God. The passage also indirectly exhorts us to strive to be fulfilled within the time God allocates for achieving each purpose.
Beloved, we must strive to be fulfilled in life between the time of our birth and death (verse 2) without allowing other people’s fulfillment or achievements to intimidate us. This is because our time of accomplishing a business may be different from theirs. Do not compare, but seek to learn from others what can help you to achieve your purpose of living better. We will be judged based on how we spend the time allocated to us for a purpose or action. It will be profitable for us to spend our time frame and space on earth seeking to do the will of God such as investing in the lives of others to assist them in finding fulfillment in life, working for the expansion of God’s kingdom, spending our energy on things that bring joy to the heart of God and men around us and also enjoying God and whatever He has given us in this short duration on earth.