This strawberry matcha smoothie recipe is the perfect way to start your day or boost your energy in the afternoon. It combines frozen strawberries, vibrant matcha powder, and a few other ingredients to make the most delicious and creamy smoothie.
What matcha to use
Many grades of matcha powder are available, but the quality of the matcha differs. Not all matcha powders are created equal.
Generally, matcha powders are categorized into two major types – ceremonial and culinary. Ceremonial-grade matcha powder is high-quality matcha powder. It has a more vibrant green color and a superior matcha flavor. This is the tea powder used in matcha tea ceremonies. Culinary matcha is of lower quality in terms of the age of the leaves picked or the quality of the leaves.
Matcha is grown in a very specific way. It requires the tea leaves to be shaded for 3 weeks before they are harvested to generate chlorophyll in the leaves. This is what gives Matcha its beautiful green color. The good news is that culinary-grade matcha powder is still excellent to use in smoothies (or baked goods like matcha bagels). High quality isn’t as important as in a tea ceremony but it still brings the green tea flavor.
The beauty of fruity smoothies lies in their flexibility. You can adjust this recipe according to your preferences or dietary needs. You can find the ingredient amounts for this healthy smoothie written in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here’s a list of what you’ll need
- Frozen strawberries – Frozen fruit is a great way to get a cold smoothie without the need for ice. If you only have fresh strawberries, add ½ cup ice cubes to the blender.
- Ripe bananas – The riper the banana the sweeter the smoothie. This can be a fresh or frozen banana.
- Milk – This can be cow’s milk or plant-based milk like oat milk.
- Natural yogurt – or plant-based alternatives
- Matcha green tea powder – Matcha’s earthy flavor is delicious with sweet strawberry.
- Maple syrup or honey to taste. Or, for extra strawberry flavor, you could use strawberry coulis or strawberry puree.
Additionally, you can add a few of these options for extra flavor and texture:
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- A dollop of peanut butter or almond butter
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the fresh strawberries, ripe banana, milk of choice, matcha powder, and maple syrup.
Blend for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture becomes super smooth and creamy.
Pour your matcha strawberry smoothie into a mason jar or a chilled glass and garnish with some matcha powder.
This recipe also lends itself beautifully to a smoothie bowl. To make a strawberry matcha smoothie bowl, pour it into a bowl instead of a glass and top it with matcha granola, cacao nibs, strawberry slices, and a drizzle of peanut butter.
Variations and Additions
Strawberry Matcha Ice Cream Smoothie: Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to your smoothie for a decadent and refreshing dessert.
Superfood Matcha Smoothie: Add other healthy ingredients like a teaspoon of spirulina powder or a tablespoon of hemp seeds.
Lower Sugar Option: If you are looking to lower the sugar content, you can leave out the maple syrup. The ripe bananas and strawberries should provide enough natural sweetness. If not, you can add a little stevia or other low-calorie sweeteners.
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- One large ripe banana
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup natural yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup, honey, or strawberry coulis
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- Add the strawberries, banana, milk, yogurt, matcha powder, and maple syrup to a high-speed blender.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. If too thick, add a splash of more milk.
- Pour the smoothie into glasses and garnish with matcha powder.
*Frozen fruit is a great way to get a cold smoothie without ice. If you only have fresh strawberries, add ½ cup ice cubes to the blender
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 283Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 102mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 5gSugar: 45gProtein: 9g