Relating to first assist, there are two primary kinds of bandages.
The primary are curler bandages, sometimes used for holding a dressing in place.
The second is a triangular bandage. Whereas triangle bandages are most frequently used for making slings, they’re very versatile – as you may see by these many makes use of for a triangular bandage.
What’s a Triangular Bandage?
A triangular bandage is produced from a robust sort of fabric that has been reduce right into a right-angle triangle. The triangle will be folded down right into a “cravat.”
You understand how Boy Scouts put on neckerchiefs?
It’s because they can be utilized as a triangle bandage. The identical goes for bandannas, although a triangle bandage is normally quite a bit bigger bandanna.
The usual measurement of triangle bandages is 40x40x56 inches (102x102x142 cm). Nevertheless, you may typically discover them in different sizes too. When folded down, the triangle bandage is kind of small – normally simply round 5 inches.
When shopping for or making triangle bandages, the bandage should be a right-angle triangle. In any other case, it received’t work as effectively for a lot of first assist capabilities.
Making Your Personal Triangular Bandage
Triangular bandages are low-cost, so making your personal doesn’t at all times make sense. If you wish to, although, right here’s the way to do it.
- Select your cloth: Any sturdy cloth can be utilized for a triangle bandage, equivalent to an previous bedsheet. Nevertheless, it’s typically greatest to decide on a sturdy cloth with a slight quantity of stretch. The stretch is vital for makes use of the place you want a cravat as a substitute of a triangle.
- Minimize the material right into a sq. of 40×40 inches
- Minimize the sq. in half. You now have two triangle bandages measuring 40x40x56 inches.
- Sterilize the bandage: You are able to do this by boiling the bandages for a number of minutes or by soaking them in disinfectant. Don’t skip this step – particularly if you happen to want it to deal with a bleeding wound.
- Iron and Fold: Ironing makes it simpler to fold.
- Retailer in a Sterile Bag: Then put it in along with your first assist provides.
*You should use a t-shirt or every other cloth for a triangular bandage in a pinch!
Medical Makes use of for a Triangular Bandage
1. Sling (Arm or Elevated)
That is the commonest use for a triangular bandage. Observe that there are various kinds of slings relying on the harm. The video beneath explains when to make use of an arm sling and when to make use of an elevated sling.
2. Head Damage
Usually, a curler bandage is used to deal with head accidents. Nevertheless, a triangular bandage is nice for treating burns to the top as it may be left unfastened across the high of the top.
3. Sprained Ankle
When going out into the wilderness, I at all times have an Ace bandage (Amazon Hyperlink) in my first assist package.
In a pinch, you need to use a triangle bandage to deal with a sprain. First, you’ll have to fold it right into a cravat.
A normal triangular bandage isn’t lengthy sufficient to be wrapped like an Ace bandage, so use this wrapping approach as a substitute.
Be warned that treating bleeding injuries does not require a tourniquet most often!
Nevertheless, current research have proven that early use of a tourniquet can save lives. A triangular bandage works nice if you happen to can’t cease the bleeding and a tourniquet is critical.
Learn extra about how to use a tourniquet.
Learn in regards to the best tourniquets on your first assist package.
5. Bleeding Wounds
This is the reason you need to make sure that your triangle bandage is sterile. It may be folded right into a sq. form and used to use stress over a wound (identical to you’d use a trauma pad).
Watch this video if you happen to don’t know the way to deal with a extreme bleeding wound.
6. Splint for Damaged Legs
When a leg is damaged or fractured, it is advisable immobilize it to stop additional harm.
There are a couple of methods of tying a splint. One methodology is to tie two branches to every facet of the injured leg.
One other methodology is to roll up a blanket and put it between the legs, then tie the legs collectively across the blanket.
Nevertheless, for subject accidents, the strategy proven beneath might be greatest. You wrap the injured leg with a sleeping pad or blanket. Then you definitely tie the splint. The padding immobilizes the leg with out slicing off circulation.
7. Eye Accidents
With eye accidents, it’s essential to bandage each eyes. The explanation for that is to cease your eyes from transferring: if one eye strikes, the injured eye will transfer additionally.
The video beneath makes use of a curler bandage to carry a plastic cup over the attention. That is the best strategy to deal with an eye fixed harm. You possibly can use a triangular bandage (folded as a cravat) over each eyes in a pinch.
8. Fractured Jaw
If SHTF and a struggle breaks out, you possibly can end up treating a fractured jaw. A triangular bandage is good for immobilizing the jaw. Begin underneath the chin and produce the bandage up over the top. The perimeters of the bandage will meet above one ear after which be tied across the brow.
9. Shoulder Accidents
When utilizing a triangular bandage for the shoulder, it’s essential to preserve it pretty unfastened. You don’t need to reduce off circulation underneath the armpit.
A superb trick is to place some padding (like a folded t-shirt) underneath the armpit earlier than bandaging. It will assist you to tie the triangular bandage tighter with out slicing off circulation.
10. Hip Wrap
The triangular bandage is nice for hip accidents. It needs to be positioned to cowl as vast of an area as potential.
11. Minor Hand Burns
You wouldn’t need to use this bandaging approach with extreme burns. The burned pores and skin would get caught to the bandage, making it very painful to take away.
Be taught how to treat serious burns right here.
For minor hand burns, a moist triangle bandage can work very effectively. The wetness retains the bandage from sticking to the wound (apply burn salve in case you have it!).
The bandage is stored unfastened so it doesn’t keep on with the hand however protects the burn from getting soiled.
Non-Medical Makes use of for a Triangle Bandage
The makes use of for a triangular bandage aren’t restricted to first assist. You may as well put it to use in survival conditions.
Listed below are another triangle bandage makes use of I can consider.
12. Pre-Filtering Water: Use the bandage to filter out filth, algae, and particles earlier than treating it with boiling, UV light (Amazon Hyperlink), or water purification tabs.
13. Face Masks: Moisten the triangle bandage and put it over your mouth. It isn’t as efficient as an N95 mask however will nonetheless assist shield you from airborne chemical compounds and poisonous publicity.
14. Fireplace Starter: Some triangle bandages are produced from artificial supplies which don’t burn effectively. However the bandages from cotton are nice as emergency tinder.
15. Tying: Out of paracord? You possibly can reduce the triangle bandage into strips to tie issues.
What makes use of for a triangular bandage are you able to consider?